Friday, June 6, 2008

A Big step for Barack.. A Bigger step for all people of color

My mom told me story this week about what happened at school. A little black kid came running up to her all excited. He told her, "My daddy said that I can be president when I grow up" and walked away all smiling.

This was a big week. Barack Obama made history by becoming the first 'person of color', non-white, minority, mixed race, multi-racial etc...etc..presidential candidate of a major party. On many levels, he has already won. He has taken all of us a step higher in the human evolutionary process by getting us all closer to a post-racial America. Now the big question is: are we there yet? The answer is NO. America is not yet at a post racial state. Many folks out there will still not vote for a 'person of color' for just that reason. But the statement this week gives a great indicator to all the world that we are moving in the right direction.

Whether Obama or McCain wins in November is anyone's guess. But what happened this week will reverberate for years, decades to come. Obama has broken through the white line of power that for 232 years ruled this country. I, myself, a minority, Asian really reflected on this change. I somehow felt more 'comfortable' to be in America. Not, just comfortable I would say, but more of a sense that I belong here, that I can more help affect this country even though I am not white.

The single most compelling achievement that Obama has helped deliver to all of Americans, immigrants etc... this week is the realistic message, that anyone, even from a poor, broken, mixed race background can rise to the highest levels and have an impact on the whole rest of us. It is a message that despite how the deck is stacked against us in the beginning, America can give each of us a chance to re-invent and re-make ourselves and be somebody.

No comments: